Thursday, February 19, 2009

Random Thoughts About Stormy Weather...

There's just something about a good strong storm that makes men think.

Storms scare me, pure and simple. I'm scared of hurricanes, even though they rarely reach this far north. (Katrina and Ike notwithstanding...) I'm scared of tornadoes, having seen firsthand the destruction of massive North Alabama tornadoes every spring and fall. I'm scared of thunder, and the old adage "that's just God moving His furniture around" doesn't quite cut it. I'm scared of lightning, and would never be so inventive as to fly a kite in it. Sometimes I'm even scared of rain, what with all the flooding and so on...


Storms isolate me, creating kind of an icy "all-alone-in-this-great-big-world" kind of feeling. The wind, the rain, the snow, the snow, the snow...did I mention snow? Snow is a lonely kind of weather...why would God make snow anyway? OK, back down and hold your fire...snow IS gorgeous, fun, exciting, and all that jazz...but I'm just not a snow fan. "One man's junk is another's treasure...," and you can keep your white flaky treasure up north! LOL

But storms also excite me! The blood starts flowing, adrenaline gets running, and my veins pop out. Guess it's in my blood cause I'm a guy and I feel the need to protect, to be in control, and to keep everyone safe. And it's the uncertainty of safety in a storm that creates the next and greatest stormy emotion...

Storms make me rely on God! I realize during a good storm that God is sin control, He owns it all, He can calm it down and He can brew it up! He can build things with snow dunes, and He can tear things down with flood waters. He gives us sense enough to stay off the roads, and gives us His cover when we must drive in a storm. In short, no mater how isolated my little pea-brain thinks it is, GOD is always with me.

Next time you're caught in a good storm, scared and alone as you may be, remember this most famous word from God that has helped me remain confident through countless waters:

"Through the storm you do not walk alone.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you."
-- Isaiah 43:2


No comments: